Wednesday, August 3, 2011

This Just In (AVM Revisited)

Q:


Think of a four letter word that names (as far as kingdoms are concerned) a certain animal, a certain vegetable and a certain mineral.  Rearrange the four letters to name a certain twenty first century farm collective.



A:

The title refers to news and the image is that of an eland.  New Zealand is a solution of an NPR puzzle from March of 2010.  

A kiwi bird (animal kingdom) is indigenous to New Zealand.

A kiwi fruit (vegetable kingdom) is widely cultivated in New Zealand.  

A kiwi stone (mineral kingdom) is a type of quartz used in making faux jewelry.

And finally, a wiki farm is a web hosting service that connects any number of wikis (websites) to collectively create and share information.


8 comments:

  1. For those that may be stumped, the title and image represent the answer for a NPR puzzle from the spring of last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I recognize the beast, but I still don't k-now the answer to your puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I give up. Neither gnus nor oryx seems to work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The title, "This just In", refers to news. The image is that of an Eland.

    New Zealand.

    I'll give you through the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since I have other plans for the rest of the day, I guess I'll officially concede. (Kiwi and wiki looked promising, but didn't quite work.) I'll be interested to see the intended answer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice puzzle. It was the stone that threw me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank goodness you don't live in a glass house.

    ReplyDelete