Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Synopposites

Q:


Pick two words in each statement.  Find synonyms for each.  The synonyms you choose should be exact opposites of each other.  For example:

The best man split just after giving his toast.          
The best man  left  right  after giving his toast.

Photo courtesy of

The third grade teacher wasn’t feeling so well after catching a bug from one of her students.

If you desire my opinion on this matter, you must allow me the opportunity to speak.

Watson said, “Mr. Holmes, I simply cannot support this ridiculous façade.

Taking a shot from the whiskey bottle does not become a young lass.


A:



The third grade teacher wasn’t feeling so hot after catching a cold from one of her students.

If you desire my take on this matter, you must give me the opportunity to speak.

Watson said, “Mr. Holmes, I simply cannot back this ridiculous front.

Taking a hit from the whiskey bottle does not become a young miss.






7 comments:

  1. Clarification please: In your example, the sentence with the synonyms inserted has exactly the same meaning as the original sentence. Is this a requirement?

    Nice puzzle. So far I have only two of the four, but I'll go back and give it another shot. I'll take another look with the printout in front of me, and the other two should come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the sentence should have the same meaning. Each word you choose will have alternate meanings. These alternate meanings will be opposites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Flashes
    2. Compromise
    3. Finance synonyms
    4. Unpredictable

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Puzzle. Here are my contributions:

    The primary tenet of a good relationship is that love will always endure.

    You wouldn't expect it, but his primary concern was at the end of the list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. w-->h=11......b-->c=1
    .
    .
    s-->h=15......l-->m=1

    Calculate the value of grain as it is being milled.

    ReplyDelete