Saturday, October 16, 2010

Six Feet Under

Q:

Michael loved the orchestra. But upon each entrance, he let out a horrible screech. “My oboe won’t work. I think it’s a reed.”


And so on.

Hint:

If you understand the title, you can count on finding the solution.



A:


The title refers to being buried and indeed, there are 11 words buried in this brief story.  I thought s-ix was pretty obvious (what the heck's a quasi-xylophone?).  It reads like this:

 Michael loved the orchestra.  But upon each entrance, he let out a horrible screech. “My oboe won’t work. I think it’s a reed.”

 “I think it may be both reeds…again,” replied the conductor.  "If our concert is to be a success, you must be prepared.  And if I’ve said that once, I’ve said it a thousand times.  Some of our larger and more unusual instruments are hard to maintain,” he went on, “like the wood pipes and the quasi-xylophones.  I gueseven the harps, which weigh the most of all, may have an excuse.  But you play an oboe with tiny little reeds.”

 “I’m sorry,” Michael replied. “I mean I never wanted to be a problem. At least not this often.”

Seeing the shame on the young man’s face, how did the conductor respond?

A: " Don't worry Michael. Even my best players make mistakes."

B:  "Don't worry Michael, but if it happens again, you're out."

The correct answer is A.

7 comments:

  1. Despite your clue, I'm clueless. Probably something involving numbers. Was the highlighting of "If our" (containing the word "four") intentional?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The highlight was not intentional (editing glitch), but indicative of how to solve this puzzle as it was "buried" within the text.

    The title holds another clue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A1 two weeks ago, A11 this week. I detect an obsession with steak sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about the deleted posts. I was doing an Irving Berlin number on myself!

    ReplyDelete