Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Now Showing in 3-D

Q:

This challange requires you to use only the letters of the alphabet that can be rotated 180 degrees on the x, y or z axis without changing.  For example, you can rotate B toward you from top to bottom (x-axis), flip A from left to right (y-axis) and spin X around 180 degrees (z-axis).  X actually works on all 3 axes. 

I used the Arial font which is common in most word processors.  You can use upper or lower case letters and repeat them as needed.

And now the challenge:  Name the only state with its respective capital city that can be spelled using only the letters in this new alphabet.



Hint:

Usually I can't be bought, but for a buck I'd give you a terrific hint.

A:

The new alphabet gives the roman numerals D, I and X  yielding 509

6 comments:

  1. I'm sure your offer to sell a clue is itself a clue, but so far it escapes me.

    Since I have come up with two states and respective capitals that can be spelled with what I think is Tommy's alphabet, perhaps I sould check a few assumptions:

    I excluded S and K because in Ariel font, each changes slightly (almost imperceptibly) after the appropriate rotation.

    I included "L" because lower case "l" (in Ariel font) has the required property.

    And N makes the cut by virtue of rotation about the z-axis.

    Finally, I assume from your comment that we are free to use upper and lower case letters at will, regardless of the usual capitalization of the state name and capital.

    I hope these questions won't cost me a buck, but I fear I may get what I pay for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, now I think I get your hint, but that would put S back in the alphabet which would lead to several other possible answers (unless I was wrong in including N).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose I should give you a buck for editing. N does indeed make the cut and I did include S. You did arrive at my intended answer. I will have to find the others.

    By the way, without the z-axis, this puzzle would have no solution.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that my exclusion of S was questionable. Allowing S and N, I count 8 answers, including 2 without S.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lorenzo, go back to the main page.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From I V X L C D M
    strict attention to the serifs eliminates L and C while strict attention to the thickness of the strokes eliminates V and M, leaving I,X and D.

    The smallest number I found using these was DIX = 509.

    I rejected XDI, an "alternative" (and not universally accepted) rendering of 491 = CDXCL.

    ReplyDelete